Tribal Law and Order Act (TLOA) meetings
Strengthening our sovereignty, providing protections to victims of crime, holding criminal offenders accountable.
Our tribe's current criminal code only allows for a maximum of a one-year sentence for any crime including murder, rape, breaking and entering, and habitual domestic violence offenders. The Tribal Law and Order Act will enable tribes to enact new laws that enhance sentences for up to three years of incarceration.
The TLOA team scheduled a series of meetings to share information and invite public comment on the proposed changes to the tribe's criminal civil code.
The schedule of meetings:
Sault Ste. Marie, Aug. 4, 6-7 p.m., Sault Tribal Courthouse (in the courtroom), 2175 Shunk Road, Sault Ste. Marie.
Manistique, Aug. 8, 6-7 p.m., Manistique Health Center (Community Room), 698 W Hwy US-2 Manistique.
Munising, Aug. 11, 6-7 p.m., Sault Tribe Munising Health Center (first floor), 615 W. Munising Avenue, Munising.
St. Ignace, Aug. 15, 6-7 p.m., St. Ignace Kewadin Casino and Hotel (Hotel conference room), 3015 Mackinac Trail, St. Ignace.
Date: Sept. 2, Public hearing and comments during board of directors workshop meeting.
Date: Sept. 23, Board of directors vote on proposed code changes.
Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in Manistique July 22
SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. - A regular meeting of the Sault Tribe Board of Directors will be held at the Manistique Tribal Center at 6 p.m. on July 22. The meeting will be preceded by "Matters Raised by the Membership" from 5 to 6 p.m.
The board will hear a presentation by the JKL Anishnaabe Grant School Committee.
Resolutions on the agenda are: a partial waiver; Jail Services Agreement; Indian Community Development Block Grant; 24 CFR Requirements; Waiver of Sovereign Immunity-Lake Forest Bank; Community Services Block Grant; Lake Michigan Water Trail Project; Authorization Easement Outlot "V" Kinross Township; Board of Director Head Start Advisory Committee; Amending Adhoc Health Access Exploratory Group; Authorization for Chair to Pay Overages East Streets Project; Budget Modification or Establishment for: Board of Directors, Governmental - MEDC Lake Michigan Waterways, ACFS - Tribal Foster Care, Education - Farm to School, Governmental - Energy Rebates, Tribal Law Enforcement - Homeland Security, General - Youth Development Fund, and, Communications - Newspaper.
Under New Business is "Request for Travel Approval" and rescheduling the Aug. 5 meeting.
Sault Tribe Board cancels Aug. 5 meeting
SAULT STE. MARIE - The Sault Tribe Board of Directors Meeting scheduled for Aug. 5 has been canceled. The next regular meeting of the Board is July 22 meeting in Manistique, followed by an Aug. 19 meeting in Marquette.
Mobile Farmers Market visits July 8
A Mobile Farmers Market is visiting Sault Tribe at the HR parking lot (adjacent to the Sault Kewadin Casino) from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, July 8, featuring Native foods and crafts like wild rice, maple syrup and blue corn. According to Barb Smutek, MSU Extension Educator, the market is also buying Native foods and crafts, if anyone would like to bring something for their consideration.
The market welcomes EBT/SNAP cardholders!
The Intertribal Agriculture Council (IAC) started the Mobile Farmers Market to help establish farmers' markets in local communities and strengthen the tribal regional food distribution network. Its two primary objectives are to expand market access for Tribal food producers and increase availability of fresh, healthy and traditional food items, especially in remote tribal communities.
The project is seeking to partner with existing tribal farmers markets and help create new ones where there is community interest.
Sault Tribe Board meets July 8 for installation ceremony, special meeting
The Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians Board of Directors Installation of Officers will take place at the Kewadin Casino and Convention Center, Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., on Tuesday, July 8, 2014, at 6 p.m. A Special Meeting of the board will follow at 6:30 pm. On the agenda are Nominations/Elections of Officers, and Rescinding Res. 2012-146. A small reception will be held at 7 p.m. All tribal members are invited to attend.
Tribe's voters select new board
SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. – The Sault Tribe Election Committee has
announced unofficial results for this year's tribal board election held
today, June 26, 2014. Voters selected two candidatesin Unit I, and one
candidate in Unit II, Unit III and Unit V.
Incumbent Keith Massaway, with no opposition in Unit III, had already
been deemed elected in the primary.
Results will be certified and deemed official at the next board of
directors meeting or within seven days of all contests being resolved.
Unit I (Sault Ste. Marie area)
Kim (Sams) Gravelle — 1442
DJ Hoffman— 1265
Debra-Ann Pine — 1236
Diedre “DJ”Malloy — 1137
Unit II (Hessel area)
Catherine Hollowell — 452
Paul Barbeaux — 431
Unit III (St. Ignace area)
Keith Massaway, elected
Unit IV (Manistique area)
Denise Chase — 516
Geof Vallier — 326
Unit V (Munising area)
Rita Glyptis — 273
Charles Matson — 193
The term of all representatives is four years. The tribe's five election
units encompass its seven-county service area in Mackinac, Chippewa,
Luce, Delta,Alger, Schoolcraft and Marquette counties.
Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in Sault Ste. Marie July 1
SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich.- A regular meeting of the Sault Tribe Board of Directors will be held at the Sault Kewadin Casino at 6 p.m. on July 1. The meeting will be preceded by "Matters Raised by the Membership" from 5 to 6 p.m.
Resolutions on the agenda are: Support Honoring Our Children Initiative; FY2011 Tribal Homeland Security Grant Program (THSGP) Contractor Approval for Manistique and Munising Emergency Shelter Generators; Sick Leave Policy; and Budget modifications: Fisheries - Nunn's Creek Rehab Hatchery, Fisheries - Nunn's Creek Fisheries, USDA NSIP Grant, Elder Transportation, Elder Health Care, Title VI Funds - BIA, Health Center - Pharmacy and Family Spirit Grant.
Board moves July 15 meeting to July 22
SAULT STE. MARIE - The Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians Board of Directors meeting set for July 15, 2014, in Manistique has been changed to July 22, 2014. The meeting will still take place in Manistique. The meeting agenda will be announced July 17.
Community meetings to gather transportation needs
SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. - Does your local transit in need more routes? Is it difficult for you to get to work, doctor appointments or school? Join us at one of the meetings scheduled in your area to tell us about your needs.
The Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians Tribe Transportation Program along with the Corradino Group will be visiting local communities to gain insight to their transit needs. Please take this opportunity to come to one of the scheduled sessions listed below. If you are not able to attend the meetings, please take a few moments to complete a short survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/G3BPDV8.
Meeting Schedule -
June 24, 3 p.m., Sault Kewadin Casino
June 25, 9 a.m., Kinross Recreation Center
June 25, 11 a.m., Kewadin Shores Casino-Tent
June 25, 12:30 p.m., Hessel Community Center
June 25, 4 p.m., Newberry Tribal Health Center
June 26, 10 a.m., Munising Tribal Health Center
June 26, 1 p.m., KI Sawyer Silver Wings Heritage Air Museum
June 26, 4 p.m., Escanaba Willow Creek Building Suite 200
June 27, 1 p.m., Manistique Tribal Health Center
Bowiting Committee Gathering of the Pipes
June 23, 2014, 1 p.m.
Niigaanagiizhik Building, 11 Ice Circle, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
OPEN TO ALL
The Bowiting Steering Committee cordially invites you to attend our Gathering of the Pipes Ceremony in preparation for the Annual Indigenous Interreligious Conference (I.C.C.), to be held in October 13-16, 2014.
To help us with food preparations, PLEASE send an R.S.V.P. by June 20.
To RSVP or for information, contact:
- Election Committee Seeks Volunteers
- Elder Committee Vacancies
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors meets in Escanaba on June 17
- Sault Tribe Files Trust Land Applications for Lansing and Huron Township
- Canceled - Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds special meeting in Sault Ste. Marie June 11
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in St. Ignace June 3
- Election Committee Seeks Volunteers
- Committee Vacancies
- Unit I Elders host Candidate's Forum
- Proposed changes to Tribal Code
- Unofficial Primary Election Results
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds special meeting in Sault Ste. Marie May 27
- Location of primary election
- Board of Directors May 20 meeting location change
- Election Committee Seeks Volunteers
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in Naubinway May 20
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors special meeting on May 14 in Sault Ste. Marie
- People needed for suicide prevention training
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in Sault Ste. Marie May 6
- Election Committee Seeks Volunteers - Primary Ballot Mailing
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in Munising April 29
- Official 2014 Primary Candidates List
- Board meets April 15 in Kincheloe
- New dates for May and June tribal newspaper issues
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds special meeting in Sault Ste. Marie March 19
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in Manistique March 18
- Sault Tribe board sets regular meeting for March 4 in Sault Ste. Marie
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in St. Ignace Feb. 18
- J.K.L. School Community Drum/Dance Social
- Notice of Election
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors sets regular meeting in Sault on Feb. 4
- Food Giveaway Planned - no documentation required to receive food
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in Sault Ste. Marie Jan. 28
- Sault Tribe receives road repair funding for Sugar Island
- Wequayoc Planning Project Positions
- Sault Tribe Newspaper 2014 Schedule
- Fundraiser for baby Elijah Jan. 11
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors regular meeting set for Newberry on Jan. 14
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds special meeting in Sault Ste. Marie Jan. 2
- Board of Directors 2014 Calendar
- U.S. Court of Appeals ruling strongly affirms tribe's right to pursue downtown Lansing casino approval
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting in Sault Ste. Marie Dec. 17
- Soup and fry bread fundraiser, Dec. 13
- Committee Vacancies
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds special meeting Dec. 10 in Sault Ste. Marie
- Tribal Chair Membership Meetings
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting Dec. 3 in Sault Ste. Marie
- Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser Dec. 7
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds special meeting Nov. 26 in Sault Ste. Marie
- Sault Tribe Board of Directors holds regular meeting Nov. 19 in Hessel